4. Update your CV and write a cover letter
Submitting your CV
It is now a requirement that all applicants use our CV template when applying as this covers all information our Vocational Training Committees need to make their assessment. Please note some of the essential requirements on the CV, are as below:
- months and years of each position at each employer
- names and dates of each rotation
- dates and explanation of any gaps in employment since gaining your primary medical degree (NB: if you have had a break in training due to leave without pay or parental leave but did not resign and were employed throughout, please ensure this is clear on your CV)
- the average number of hours per week if you have done any part-time or locum work
- the names, phone numbers and email addresses of three referees who have supervised you clinically within the last two years (one of these must be your current supervisor). Please check referee requirements.
- Please note if you are applying for multiple jobs, also name your CV differently for each one AND upload each one onto the job listing requisition for that specialty. This way your CV will be seen by the Hiring Managers of that specialty
What to include in a cover letter
In the Auckland region, there are some specialties that may not review the cover letter. Many applicants choose to insert key information about themselves in the personal summary section instead of including a cover letter. However, if you choose to submit a cover letter please outline your reason for applying to that specialty and the Auckland region in particular. Discuss why you are suitable for the position.
Applying for a Psychiatry Registrar position?
If you are applying for your first position as a Psychiatry Registrar or are applying from overseas, there is an additional component you need to upload with your application.
Complete and upload the RANZCP College Application Form