12. Applying for a visa
If you have accepted your offer of employment, you may require some involvement with the New Zealand Immigration Service in order to work.
Who doesn't need a work visa?
You do not need a work visa to work in New Zealand if you are:
- a New Zealand citizen or you hold a New Zealand residence visa, or
- an Australian citizen, or the holder of a current Australian permanent residence visa including a current Australian resident return visa. (If there are conditions on your residence visa/resident return visa, then you will require a work visa.)
I already have a work visa
If you already have a visa and have been working in New Zealand, you may need to change the conditions on it before you commence work with us in the following events:
- your employer on your visa does not reflect the Auckland region District Health Boards.
- If you are a House Officer and the position title on your visa does not reflect Resident Medical Officer and you have accepted a position in another specialty with the new title and, the new position does not correspond with the title on your current visa.
- If you are a Registrar in one specialty and have accepted a position in another specialty and the new position does not correspond with the title on your visa. For example, you have a visa for an Emergency Medicine Registrar position but now want to work as a Surgery Registrar but your visa states Emergency Medicine.
Please contact your nearest immigration office to apply for a variation of conditions for your work visa.
I don't have a work visa and need to apply for one
You need to contact your local New Zealand Immigration Office for advice about which work visa type to apply for. New Zealand Immigration will guide you through the essentials for a hassle free emigration process!
Click here for a quick users guide to understanding NZ Work Visas
When do I apply for a visa?
If you are applying for a work visa you must already have:
- Offer of employment
- Eligibility confirmation from the Medical Council of New Zealand
Both of these documents are required to submit a work visa application along with the required immigration checklist. Please ensure you complete all the required immigration documentation to ensure your application is not delayed or declined for that reason.
I have received my visa. What's the next step?